Sunday, December 5, 2010

An Abomination

I was just recently sickened, and I'd like to discuss it. If not for any one of you, then simply for me. (Let's be honest, who is this blog really for?) I guess I just need to rehash some thoughts and get this tornadoe onto something more managable.
I saw Earthlings (this blog is getting closer and closer to a movie critique thing than is comfortable for me.) the other day. It's a documentary on the meat industry predominantly as well as animals in the clothing industry.
What I noticed, which became of extreme importance as the documentary progressed, was that they were careful to point out that the instances of which they spoke and the scenes they showed were not isolated cases but rather, the standard that is carried out globally.
I'm not going to go into detail because I do not want to ruin the documentary for you if you do choose to see it and just in case there are any people of weak constitutions reading this, but I will tell you what has happened afterwards.

1. I laid down on the couch and wept. Not a couple tears or some hiccups. Genuine sobbing. I cried so hard I couldn't breathe. Imagining the specific animals that have gone into my selfish lifestyle and their suffering hurt me on such a deep level.
2. I took every leather article of clothing and threw them out. So far they've been picked up by others who thought they were nice or cool, some are still waiting to be claimed.
3. I brushed my teeth and while looking at myself in the mirror, I started crying.
4. I started to ask my God some questions.
A. Why did he create creatures that can inflict so much harm onto those less powerful?
B. What is in our hearts that can be so callous to suffering?
C. Is there any peace or justice for these animals? Does God look after them and care for them before, during, and after their torture and slaugher?
D. What can I do to minimize or end this suffering?

That last question I dwelled on for a while. Now, I'm vegetarian. I'm almost a vegan, but I will eat eggs and milk if I can guarantee that the chickens and cows involved are leading happy and comfortable lives and are being respected just as any living thing deserved.
No more leather or suede sits in my closet and never ever ever will there be any in my closet.
But, as a single consumer, is that enough? How can I make a mark and fight the fight for those who can't (and not look like a crazy PETA bitch)?
I don't know the answer to that question.
So for now, my choices as a consumer will have to do the job.

3 comments:

  1. You realize, dear, that you can continue to eat meat without supporting the torture, right? I'm planning on buying meat ONLY from local farms once I live off campus and have choice. That way I'm not supporting that kind of stuff.
    you know?
    I understand how badly this affected you. I probably would have felt the same way after watching something like that. But, in case you start to miss meat, there are ways to still have it without supporting the torture. There ARE still people out there that are compassionate. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh of course, I know that. I eat my moms eggs and I'm doing research into the dairy products supplied to my college. I'd like to believe that a slaughterhouse practices humane killings, but I'm not going to believe them until I can visit and see for myself how those animals are treated. Because they're lying to us and that's not acceptable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so committed to Justice. I love it :)

    If I find anything in *my* search I'll let you know :)

    ReplyDelete