Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Things that make me go "grrr"

So one of my dear roommates came home from work at the mall with a very funny and sad story last week. A mother, whose intentions are explanatory in the post below, was first hunting for her son's eye candy in the mall. Apparently she didn't find what she was looking for and so here we find her craigslist post: 

"Looking for 4-6 fun, bubbly, very outgoing & pretty WWU girls to deliver bday cake and gifts to my son @ Rudys Pizza this Friday night, 4/12. 
Stay for dinner with him and his buddies and enjoy a free fun meal! Not geeky guys, I swear. They all go to WWU and are athletic, funny, smart, etc. This is not about hooking up, its just a fun way to add an element of surprise and silliness to his bday dinner. After dinner you're done, easy peasy. :)
**Attractiveness is a MUST, shy girls need not apply. Best scenario is for all the girls to be friends, for moral support ya know? :)
$25 per girl + free yummy dinner with cute guys, you'll never find a job as fun and easy as this one! Call or text 425-239-4162"

First let me shake my damn head at the horrors of a mother inflicting this kind of attitude on her son. We do not live in a perfect world. Here's my response:

"I laughed when I heard about your hunt for pretty girls at the mall and it makes me glad to know you've been unsuccessful so far. I hope you remain so. But more than that, I am sad. I'm sad to find that even our own mothers do not stand for the respect of the female gender we deserve. No amount of money makes up for the objectification you're trying to inflict. Please reassess your intentions for the kind of man you wish to raise because the shallow, petty, and disrespectful attitude you have will not be attractive in your son to any self-respecting woman."

And yes, that is her phone number. Obviously she doesn't mind calls about this job listing if you're feeling particularly angry about this. Oh and here's the original post if it's not flagged already: http://bellingham.craigslist.org/fbh/3736221992.html

EDIT: My lovely, clever, and vicious roommate has volunteered to publish her response as well. Maybe enough voices will change the attitude. 

"Please tell me this ad is a joke. How can you NOT see how disrespectful this is to women? Do you really think your son is so shallow that he needs the attention of only attractive women? It was bad enough when I heard that you had asked girls who work at the mall to throw away their self respect (which is already being threatened in a work environment like that) to hand presents to your kid. Seriously, If you want to do something nice for your son on his birthday, maybe teach him that there is more to life than pretty girls and having a good time. Where is he going to learn how to respect women if not from you?"

2 comments:

  1. This was my response to her post via E-mail:
    "Please tell me this ad is a joke. How can you NOT see how disrespectful this is to women? Do you really think your son is so shallow that he needs the attention of only attractive women? It was bad enough when I heard that you had asked girls who work at the mall to throw away their self respect (which is already being threatened in a work environment like that) to hand presents to your kid. Seriously, If you want to do something nice for your son on his birthday, maybe teach him that there is more to life than pretty girls and having a good time. Where is he going to learn how to respect women if not from you?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're a hero to your gender. I'll post this now.

    ReplyDelete