Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Take Your Existential Crisis Seriously Youngling

   For as long as western education has been in action, it has been men, giving up the animalistic life to pursue the noble life of the mind. Women have been lumped with the family, treated as a distraction, a life of debauchery or meaningless labor was a life with women.
   Honorable, scholarly men rejected these lives and the sirens on those shoaly rocks as mere temptations away from the dignified path of education.

   Does this fact explain why I struggle in college?
   (PREFACE HATERS: I am not making an excuse for laziness. You can discuss such options with my GPA where you'll be proven wrong.)
   So much of my brain-power is overwhelmed with the male presence in my classroom. Even in the darkest caves of study, my mind will wander into the much lighter, easier realm of who to distract, to lure into a home with me.
   How unhealthy is this? And how irritating. Why have I made the deepest, most travelled paths through my jungle of a mind such that all I think about are boys, babies, and houses.
   It is this trend that encourages me to reject male distraction. I am not the one distracting my male counterparts to the domestic life, my male peers are the ones distracting me! The tables have turned and my response is the same. Begone petty boys.

   You cannot keep me from my goals, my huge inevitable achievements.
   Just like men shed the yoke of family and women, so do I cast away their offers of domesticity to find my own purpose, my own meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment